Saturday, March 04, 2006

czech please!


After a rather long and grueling day, I decided to stop into a local bar, cheers if you will. I sat alone at the bar. Few patrons had arrived and I was happy to be solitary and write in the little black book that I carry everywhere with me. So I lamented about loneliness and pressure and everything good and bad and ugly that had transpired through my day and week.

Just a note:::: I know the owners of this bar pretty well and they were sitting across the bar with a guy I had never seen before. I paid little attention to this.

So, I drink my one glass of wine and was preparing to leave when the bartender approached me.

"The gentleman at the end of the bar would like to buy you a shot. His name is Joe and it is his birthday"

I wanted to politely refuse but decided to just go ahead and take my medicine instead of insulting birthday Joe. So, I said that I would have a Lemon Drop shot and down the hatch it went. Now, I grabbed my coat and my bag and prepared to leave, but I thought I should thank dear Joe for making me feel obligated to take a shot and of course to wish him a happy birthday.

I go over and say my thank you's which turns into him throwing a fifty dollar bill down on the bar and saying shots for everyone....everyone being the 6 people in his vicinity. I say..oh hell, why not, it's the guy's birthday. He obviously doesn't have friends. They aren't here. I should oblige. So I do. Another lemon drop shot down the hatch. I still just want to go home. Joe by the way is from the czech republic. I start talking with him as he keeps throwing fifty and hundred dollar bills down on the bar and buying shots for anyone with an open mouth and a rotten liver. I'm starting to see double. I don't like shots. I don't like to do shots. I just wanted to have one glass of wine, go home, play my guitar, and sleep like an angel.

Instead I'm here with Czech Joe destroying brain cells. So, I ask him a question....a very simple question.
"What do you do?"

his answer=" You don't need to know"

I still do not know what he does, but I have a horrible feeling that it involves breaking kneecaps for a mob boss of some sort....ugh. Is there a czech mob?

So, of course the next thing out of his mouth is

"I want to go home with you"

I say "No, You're not going home with me. I don't take guys home with me. I have a boyfriend"

his response= "I will buy hotel room. I pay"

my response="I'm not going to a hotel with you"

his response=" not hotel. Motel. I pay for motel. You go with me. I pay"

my response=" I'm not going to a motel with you"

The next sentence out of his mouth was something about me using him for booze and that I'm a slut.

I pack up the little dignity I have left and go home.



God help me.

No comments:

And now a word from our sponsor

Without shameless begging, independent musicians would surely starve.