Saturday, December 15, 2007

Finished!

I write to you from my Brooklyn apartment on a cold December Saturday.
The sounds of sunrise at the speakeasy fill the apartment as I play the finished
tracks in their final order. It is a strange feeling that comes over me when I finish something. Yes, there are still photographs to be taken and art work to be designed, but the recordings are done. The process of recording my first album was at times painful and frustrating, not only because of the content of the songs but also due to my virginity to the world of production. I tried things. I failed at times and rerecorded them, but kept pushing forward. This album came so much easier. I knew what I wanted. I took what I had learned on Sirens and expanded it. I feel proud of this album. I think it is timely and important. The songs are new and fresh. I can't wait to share it with everyone. The release date is going to happen next summer, June or July. I am excited.

Now a question has been looming in my head. I have all of these songs that were written during the Sirens of Brooklyn and Sunrise at the Speakeasy sessions. I find myself unable to stop working on the next project. I don't know what that is right now. I don't want these songs, now b-sides to be left behind. Many of them are my favorite songs in certain ways but just didn't feel right for the album at the time.
These are a few that sort of stick with me, in the back of my head, wanting to be heard...

God in the Telephone Book
Cherry Falls
The Ocean and the Easel
Single File
Duct Tape and Superglue
600 Miles (Thank You)
Down So Low
Pretty Decent Guy
Lullabye
The Siren
Wash Away
Afraid of The Dark
Big From Down Here

Perhaps, the next thing is an album of b-sides. We shall see. For now, I am going to enjoy the holiday with some time in Kansas starting next Friday. Perhaps some new songs will try to push their way out. Perhaps some old ones will beg me for a pair of dancing shoes. Only a little time will tell.

No comments:

And now a word from our sponsor

Without shameless begging, independent musicians would surely starve.