Thursday, April 10, 2008

Hey, nice top


I was mindlessly wandering through the local Brooklyn Target looking to buy things I didn't need. We all have to do our part to plug the holes in this rotten boat that is the US economy. Unfortunately everything you buy is made in china, so stimulating the US economy is a bit trickier these days. You have to seek out lesbians by the side of the road with signs that say "will macrame for food" selling organic fruit and hemp bracelets made at their weekly knitting circle.

Just an FYI...If you need a guitar case to toss your $600 IRS check into, I have one. Just let me know the street corner where I should stand on to serenade you. I'll even wear my jeans with holes in them and something that looks slightly hipsterish. Art is cool. Suffering for art is soooo cool.

I've decided I need to buy a sewing machine. Apparently watching too many episodes of project runway makes me think that I might have that special undiscovered talent to turn left over cheetos bags into one-of-a-kind couture creations.
No. I'm serious. I have sewing fever people. I made a skirt out of an old pair of jeans once, using a dinosaur of a singer sewing machine from the 1950's.

Now I find myself reading sewing blogs from crazy old women complaining about bobbins and tension and things that matter most when your body hasn't been touched in a desirous way for years. These are the people who are eaten alive by their 20 cats, lying motionless next to a half opened can of fancy feast. I trust their opinions beyond the shadow of a doubt.

I like the concept of vintage sewing patterns, but I noticed an odd recurring theme. The men's patterns are really gay. I showed one to K and he said it reminded him of a Tom of Finland print. This brings about very chicken or egg questions.

Was it the sewing pattern that made him gay or was it the gay that made the sewing pattern?

Discuss.

1 comment:

Steph said...

Hey!

Thanks for checking out my blog -- I hope you caught that I'm not an old lady with 20 cats purring at my feet, and my bobbins are winding just fine thankyouverymuch.=)

My Singer CG 500 has been great for me. It is super sturdy and I love that the base is metal. I have had only minor problems with it. Once it overheated and stopped working for several hours, but I was up against a deadline and had been running it for a couple of hours straight - a little lube and it worked just fine the next day. Oh - and it isn't the quietest of machines, but I'll sacrifice quiet for sturdiness any day.

You should know that Singer has most of their machines made in China now, but the CG500 is made in Brazil (according to the Singer dealer who sold it to me). So pick your poison.

Janome is a great brand of sewing machines too - I know several people that own one and love it.

Hope this helps!

Steph
Moonpie Designs

And now a word from our sponsor

Without shameless begging, independent musicians would surely starve.