Wednesday, July 12, 2006

It's raining in New York


Today

The rain is falling in New York. The sky has opened its eyes to let its tears flow free. I feel a bit like a vagabond. I went to the photo lab to drop off negatives for the album when the rain started. I had my guitar and my laptop in my pack, so I became a prisoner underneath a dark blue awning.

I called my ex to get a weather forecast, but he was no use. He had no news on whether this was a quick shower or the beginning of monsoon season.

I have never been umbrella appropriate. I carry an umbrella when it doesn't rain and I never have one when the floodgates are open. I don't usually check the weather myself. I like to be surprised. It seems that when I do check it, the forecast is incorrect and I'm surprised regardless.

I skipped from awning to awning for a while before finding refuge in a coffee shop with high speed wireless internet.
So, here I sit, typing away, watching the people running through the streets, soaked to the bone, squealing and shivering.

Water amazes me. It seems so simple yet it can destroy cities, rot wooden houses, carve canyons, cool a hot forehead, and wash away the filth. I love the air after the rain. It's cool and fresh just waiting to be polluted.

The rain is letting up and soon I will catch a train to Queens where I will be rehearsing with Jeff. We're doing a show on Saturday, which will be our first musical collaboration. I'm excited to be doing some jazz standards in addition to my original material. It's fun to sing those old songs.

A quick apology to a few of you who have gotten delayed email responses from me. My internet connection has been spotty at best for the last couple of days and I've resorted to sending smoke signals. I am after all a member of the Choctaw Indian tribe, your fun fact for the day.

Photography by Carrie Thomas

No comments:

And now a word from our sponsor

Without shameless begging, independent musicians would surely starve.