Saturday, May 12, 2007

Greetings from Ohio

There is nothing like a roach motel with cigarette burns in the curtains and an indescribable chemical smell used to remove some far worse smell to let You know that you've truly made it in the music business.

I took a bus, yes a bus from New York City to Columbus Ohio. I took two of my little dolls to help me sleep but even they could not distract me from the large man who was using me as a pillow. I woke up at 4am in the middle of West Virginia with the feeling that my neck might be permanaently damaged and in need of an emergency visit to the Chiropractor. I spent an hour in a bus station in Pittsburg sitting indian style on the ground, slumped over my backpack just so I could get a window seat on the dirty dog.

I arrived in Columbus with bloodshot eyes and a dazed and confused look that turned heads, wheeling a PA System, carrying a guitar, a backpack and a bag. I looked more like a packmule than a human being. I have become Robert German's roadie. The pay is terrible. The accomodations are 2star at best, but at the end of the day, I know that the twisted spine and sore muscles are all for the greater cause.

I left my cellphone in New York, which led to a rather neuotic spree of skype phone calls at the local Columbus Starbucks. I had my big bubble headphone on, yelling at my laptop. I'm sure I created some sort of scene, but it had to be done.

Last night I did an hour set at Q Bar in Columbus followed by socializing with my friend Michael Jackson (not the one who touches children) who came all the way from Indiana just to see the show. God bless you, Michael.

After a drive through serene country landscape littered with geese, sheep and outhouses, I find myself in Gambier Ohio. Oh, my good deed for the day was saving a butterfly. It flew into the car and we pulled over to give it back to nature.

It is the simple things that really make it all worth while.

More to come...

No comments:

And now a word from our sponsor

Without shameless begging, independent musicians would surely starve.