Tuesday, January 15, 2008

A night without sleep

Photo by Carrie Thomas

Last night K cooked a chicken and we curled up to watch Notes on a Scandal. I had heard both negative and positive reviews of the film, so was not sure where my opinions would fall. The acting was amazing and overall, I enjoyed the film.

I could go into more detail, but my brain is fried this morning. The radiator has been making this buzzing noise that is like a Chinese torture devise. Well, not necessarily Chinese in quality, but torture all the same. There is a nob which is broken so I can't do anything to stop the incessant buzzing. If that wasn't enough to drive me mad, there was music blaring in the bathroom. I thought it was from an upstairs neighbor, but I know my upstairs neighbor and the hip hop flavor of the invading sounds didn't seem to suit his taste.

I wiggled and weaved my way through a half sleep,The buzzing of the radiator and the booming of the bass between me and the sweet release of rapid eye movement and the world of bizarre dreams I've been walking through lately.

at 4:20 am, I snapped.
"You've got to be fucking kidding me."

I put on a bathrobe and slipped on tennis shoes, heading out the apartment door, not sure even where I was going. I thought of calling my landlord. I thought of buzzing all the ground floor apartment buzzers until I found the offending party. I'm so not confrontational. I noticed that the door was ajar across from my apartment. It is not another apartment, but rather the super's "office" if you could call it that.

I walked across the dusty concrete floor to find a stereo blasting. I guess the super had left it on. I turned it off and then contemplated retaliatory avenues I could pursue. I thought of taking the stereo to my apartment and leaving a sticky note telling the super that his listening privileges have been suspended until he can show a baseline level of respect and responsibility.

I contemplated pulling the cords out from the wall and dragging the stereo into the street, throwing it to the traffic as a sacrifice to the gods of the sleepless and disgruntled. Instead, I shuffled back to bed, half awake and slightly fuming.

There is no amount of coffee to make this day right.

No comments:

And now a word from our sponsor

Without shameless begging, independent musicians would surely starve.