Wednesday, May 31, 2006

I bought the siren a pair of steel toed boots


I know what it is like to sing
someone towards me knowing that there are sharp rocks in the water between.
There is beauty in destruction. There is deep loneliness when you live on an island.

I can't help but sing. It is my infatuation. I would never want to wreck a ship. I can't stop it. No matter how hard I try, it possesses me and moves my limbs with puppet strings. I have no will to reach for scissors. I can't cut myself free. I must sing, knowing the consequences.

I bought my siren a pair of steel-toed boots because she asked me for them. She was a delicate slow child who loved to sit by the water for hours just staring at the waves, documenting the amount of froth each one produced. I envied her movements, like sap in the autumn. I tried to mimic them, but I was never successful.

I am too frantic and I want her to join me in my unsteadiness, so I bought her a pair of steel toed boots. They have sped her up and she wants to rock and roll. She wants pyrotechnics and reflective ribbons in her hair. I didn't know she had it in her. Who knew a girl who normally goes barefoot could take such a quick liking to leather and metal and malice?



The Siren



Don't ask the question.
You won't like the answer you get.
Just change your direction
or you're gonna hit.

cuz I am the siren
that pulls you into the rocks
and you are the sailor
who can't see the land up ahead.
You're tossed on a sea of my thoughts
pulling you closer
closer and closer

Just try to be patient.
Please, wait for the dawn.
Just wait til the sun hits the water.
When the sun hits the water,
I'll be gone.
I'll be gone, so gone.

Cuz I am the siren
that pulls you into the rocks
and you are the sailor
who can't see the land up ahead.
You're tossed on a sea of my thoughts
pulling you closer
closer and closer.

I don't know why I go walking at night
calling your name to the open sea.
You just come closer and closer
please don't listen to me.
I'm alone on this island
calling your name.

I'm the siren.
I'm the siren.
I'm the siren.

'The Siren' © 2000-06 Robert German


Any similarity to situations or individuals real, fictional or implied to be real or fictional is really fictional and purely the fabrication of the author's very unspecific imagination. No conclusions, facts, concepts, or opinions about individuals and/or situations real, fictional or implied to be real or fictional should be based upon the content of this rant.

No comments:

And now a word from our sponsor

Without shameless begging, independent musicians would surely starve.