Friday, May 05, 2006

A note from Kim Levering














Kim Levering, Robert German, Julia Carl (taken at the Abbey in LA)
Valentine's Day 06


Have you ever had a friend that you didn't know that you had? Because you took advantage of a connection simply because the signal was so strong? I have... But these situations, real and otherwise, fantasy and what we want our realities to be, have shown me several things. I look forward and I can give no answers... I speculate. I speculate on cue. And it's the people that understand that fact, the ones who don't expect answers either, that you look to for conversation. Reason being? No answer is scripted. No future is planned. No outcome is what we want. And I respect this is in all of my closest friends. Now... I... can... Escape... with the best of them. Like I'm doing right now. But the sincerity of which I represent myself is this particular moment... and in it... I have a good friend. I am, at the very bottom line, so happy with that. I can say... that this is true... and nothing right now clouds my thinking other than this. Laugh.. go ahead. Cheesey yes... yes it is. Real to me. What about you right now? I'm happy and pleased with the genious who came up with the idea of cliche... because that's basically a snap shot right? Well... here's my snap shot, my cliche. And it probably doesn't mean that much because I have a head full of crazy... and tomorrow I'll look back at this and I'll laugh, and pretend that in this moment it wasn't real. But the cliche that I WAS speaking of is this... All we have is this moment... The future is a step forward, the past, a step behind... and sometimes can't see where I am. I feel fortunate that people, the ones, who see the direction in which I am going, in which they are going, can point out the obvious. And that doesn't happen all that often. This is what I'm thankful for... Robert is one of those people who just simply gets it. And for that, I'm grateful to even have the good fortune of meeting him. Stars align and stuff... blah.. Blah... blah. You'd want to know this guy too. Simply on the same page. Too much the same. Too recognizable. Too cool...


-A NOTE FROM ROBERT-

I met Kim Levering at a place called the Gowanus Lounge. It is the first place where I was able to pluck up the courage to get on stage and sing songs that I had written. I saw her sitting there, attentive, smiling. Her brother, Rich was bartending, or rather smoking a joint in the basement while poor Matt Katz, a fellow musician was teaching himself to mix drinks, quite unsure of where to put the money the customers were shoving at him... in fact quite unsure of what to charge for the drinks he was poorly concocting.

The Gowanus' open mic became a bit like a home to me and Kim and I grew to be good friends. She is a blessing to my life like many others who have graced me with their time and their beauty.

Had it not been for the encouragement of her and others I would not have gone from tentatively plucking my strings to confidently writing and playing what I feel. I am nothing without my friends. They are the ones who catch me when I fall and hug me when I succeed.

I believe that life, though sometimes strange and complicated, has a rhyme and it has a reason. People enter our lives for a purpose. We are given gifts in mysterious packaging. I appreciate all of the things that I am given. If I have 2 pennies in my pocket and nothing in the bank, I am still wealthy beyond what I could ever hope for.

I had previously blogged that there is a razor thin line that separates me from the homeless man. My friend Chris immediately emailed me to make me realize that the razor thin line I speak of stretches across this country like the great wall of china. You can see it from outer space. I have beautiful souls to catch me when I fall. I dedicate my music to these amazing individuals who stoke the fires of my soul.

No comments:

And now a word from our sponsor

Without shameless begging, independent musicians would surely starve.