Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Which do you prefer?


I must admit that I am not a Madonna fan.

I know. Gasps of homo horror just reverberated through the blog-o-sphere.
I will also admit that a few of her songs are guilty pleasures.
You never know what's going on underneath my headphones.
After all, Ace of Base, Abba and Britney Spears are all on my ipod.

I probably shouldn't have brought up the subject of madonna.
After all, you can't throw a brick in a homo bar without hitting a madonna fan in the head.
Don't throw a brick in a homo bar, by the way.
It's not a good way to test my theory and they have stricter penalties for hate crimes.

I do have to give some respect to Madonna for pushing the envelope.
However, when her American Life video came out, she caved under pressure to censor herself.

I must say that I think this is a good example of how censorship ruins art.

Check out the two versions of the video and let me know what you think.


American Life Censored:
(the boring version that aired)


American Life Uncensored:
(the edgy interesting version that should have aired)




While we're on the subject of Madonna,
I think the video to What it feels like for a girl, directed by her husband, Guy Ritchie, is brilliant.




Alright, if you throw a brick in a homo bar, you might hit me. NO BRICKS and NO THROWING!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Like most gay men I'm a HUGE Madonna fan. My fave cd is "Like A Prayer" followed by "Confessions On A Dance Floor". Got to see her on her last tour. 350.00 a ticket but totally worth it. I like the censored video better myself. I have a great variety of artists on my ipod also. I like most music with the exception of hard core rap.

Robert German said...

I think the best song that Madonna has done that really pulls at my heart strings would be "Oh Father" from Like a Prayer. That album is definitely one of her more artistic endeavors in my opinion.

Anonymous said...

My fave Madonna songs are

1. Hung Up
2. Like A Prayer
3. Open Your Heart
4. Vogue
5. Express Yourself
6. Oh Father
7. Music
8. Ray Of Light
9. Into The Groove
10. Rain

And now a word from our sponsor

Without shameless begging, independent musicians would surely starve.