Tuesday, February 28, 2006

I Love Hate New York


Depending on the day I should either be wearing a shirt that either says
"I love NY" or "I hate NY"
I find that there is rarely an inbetween with this city. We have maintained a dysfunctional relationship for quite some time. NY beats me upside the head, backhands me, burns cigarettes into my clothing.

The next day there is the apology, the flowers, just the right words. I always come crawling back because NY has made me dependent on it. It's taken away my car and convinced me that the subway is the only way to go. It has made me actually fear leaving NY because I don't know how to function outside of the dysfunctional relationship.

I can get pretty much anything I need most times of the day...access to works by almost every famous artist. I pass models on the street. They live amongst us. I can hear every major language spoken in the street and eat pretty much every type of world cuisine.

Yet, I can also see the dark disconnected parts of humanity...the homeless the smell of urine as the subway train approaches...absolute wealth ignoring absolute poverty as it begs for a penny to buy an apple..or maybe some booze. who knows. After you live in NY for a while you become jaded and need convincing that a homeless person isn't just an NYU student pretending to be destitute for extra drinking money.

In other unrelated news and to prove that I have A.D.D. Today, my count of friends on Myspace hit the dreaded number 666. God help us all.

1 comment:

beth slack said...

ROBERT! I have so been in this same relationship for over two years. Does this mean that we are somehow in a relationship with eachother if we are in the same relationship with the same person?

And now a word from our sponsor

Without shameless begging, independent musicians would surely starve.