Friday, April 28, 2006

Serendipity and the Phoenix (Arizona)
















Last night I went for a long walk, a seven mile walk, to be fairly exact. I started in the 20's in Manhattan and ended up in Park Slope, Brooklyn. I took the Manhattan Bridge to avoid the tourists and to allow for singing to myself.

I think people see me and think I'm crazy when I'm on my long walks. These are the journeys I take to have conversations with myself and finish the lyrics to songs I'm working on, so I sometimes walk and sing and scat and mumble.

This time, the walk was all about the sirens of Brooklyn. When I started I only had lyrics for the 1st verse, but when I was done walking I had a 2nd verse and the start of the final verse.

'The sirens.." is a song about a relationship with someone who abandoned me in a bar in Arizona with very little money and no means of getting back to my hotel. So, I'm singing lyrics inside my head "I'm sitting here in Arizona..." when a man stops me.

Man: Excuse me, but I'm lost. I'm not from here. I'm visiting from Phoenix Arizona and I need to find the train to get me back to Manhattan.

Me: That's so funny. I'm writing a song in my head right now about Phoenix Arizona.

Man:(awkward smile that implies that he thinks I'm crazy) That's great. So, can you tell me where I can catch the train?

I gave the man directions and we parted ways.

This all seemed like a sign to me. After being left in the bar in Arizona, I walked three miles in green rubber clogs, which felt like the longest walk of my life.

photo credit-Carrie Thomas

No comments:

And now a word from our sponsor

Without shameless begging, independent musicians would surely starve.