Friday, January 26, 2007

God Hates Fags?

It was an extremely traumatic experience being approached by my parents at age 18 to have them tell me they wanted me to speak with a christian counseler with an organization called Exodus in Minneapolis, Minnesotta.

For those of you who aren't aware, there are these people who believe that faith in Jesus can change You from being gay to straight. They also believe that being gay is the result of your mother being over bearing and your father withholding love. I met with a counselor at Exodus one winter's day, followed by my first trip to a gay bar.

My experience was laughable. I got the counselor who was supposed to be helping me to admit that he was still gay after being with this organization for 6 years. It sickens me to think of this poor man as I feel he needed a lot more help than I ever did.

Oddly enough I stumbled upon this video. The man singing looks identical to the counselor with whom I met.
This could be the theme song for the ex-gay movement, but given my experience it just makes me laugh.


***Watch the Video***

***Listen to a podcast
where I recount my experience with the ex-gay movement***

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wonder if that guy realizes he's a parody of himself.

And now a word from our sponsor

Without shameless begging, independent musicians would surely starve.