Friday, January 05, 2007

Return from Oz (part2)

I had the pleasure and pain of spending a week in Kansas for Christmas.
Though it was great to see my family, an occurance which generally doesn't happen more than twice per year, it was a christmas that did not feel familiar in a way that Christmas usually does.

My parents recently moved to the town where my sister lives in Northern Kansas. As they are temporarily living in a church parsonage while renovations are done on their new house, all of the familiar ornaments, nativity scenes, bobbles and bangles were packed away in boxes, wondering why Christmas had forgotten them this year.

I found myself in one of the only areas of the country where no major cellphone provider works.
I recently recorded a song called "unplug" for the next album, which touches on my resent dislike of technologies deathgrip on the social skills of the human race coupled with the knowledge that earth's climate is changing at an alarmingly fast rate. I found it both calming and unsettling that I had no contact with the outside world, a test of my lack or abundance of hypocracy. I'm not sure which won.

No comments:

And now a word from our sponsor

Without shameless begging, independent musicians would surely starve.