Thursday, June 08, 2006

Like a child


I wish at times that I could look at the world with the eyes of a child.

New York is a city where one is constantly stimulated visually, sonicly, physically. The brain can't handle all this input, so a part of it is always short circuited. The result for me, is that it often takes a lot to excite me.

Yet, get me away from New York and I become spastic,climbing trees and running up mountains. I wonder if being away from New York for a long period of time will reroute my circuitry so that when I return, I will climb buildings and run up the avenues.

I live in a cultural center with boundless possibility and yet I generally only see the art of my friends/collaborators.
When I first moved here, I would go to every new museum exhibit and every gallery opening or performance art piece.

I was in Washington DC over Memorial Day Weekend and there in Dupont circle was a tiny girl in a sundress dancing, as a street performer sang a U2 cover. I envied her. She didn't care what anyone thought or if she was dancing the correct way. It was just the music and her soul connecting. I wish to see the world through the eyes of a child and sing and dance as if no one is watching.

Photography used with the kind permission of Carrie Thomas.

No comments:

And now a word from our sponsor

Without shameless begging, independent musicians would surely starve.