Tuesday, June 06, 2006

A whole lot of crazy



Someone who I consider rather crazy once said that the craziest thing you can ever say is
"I'm not crazy."

Saner words never fell from his mouth.

I've recently had to battle with a recurring theme in my life, perspective.
How do you know when you are right and someone else is wrong? Who is crazy and who is sane?...you or them?

I generally find that there is no black or white. Life is overwhelmingly grey. Neither of us is right or wrong and both of us are a bit of both.

I think the true test when faced with conflict is how you handle it. Do you try to dive into the situation and constructively solve it or do you drag the other person into your emotional tar pit, trying to find as many things you can to hurt and discredit their emotions and purpose in life?

Are you letting the wound fester or are you reaching for the rubbing alcohol?
It stings a little, I know.

My choice is to realize that I am not perfect. I make many decisions based on emotions and hope for the best. I also do my best to seek resolution in times of conflict. I do not have a problem with admitting fault when it is appropriate.

I don't want to open someone's hood and start hacking away at the machinery to see how much I can damage them. I want to look them in the eye and solve the problem. Unfortunately, We don't always get that opportunity.

So... Perspective. I recently had the thought that I could gain more perspective if I removed anything that might alter my perception of the world. So, I have given up caffeine and alcohol as some sort of test. I will let you know if I have some grand revelation. Maybe I'll discover that I am indeed crazy.

No comments:

And now a word from our sponsor

Without shameless begging, independent musicians would surely starve.