Friday, July 20, 2007

Stardust! and other forms of anticipation


Only on rare occasions will you find me amongst the masses,seated in the dark, staring up at a movie theater screen. I love movies, but I probably average about 4 movies per year when it comes to actual theater viewing. Oddly though I average about 30 visits to the concession stand to buy movie theater popcorn.

Rarely do I get excited about a film coming to the "big screen," however this is one of those rare occasions.

I am thrilled to announce that the film adaptation of one of my favorite books of all time, Stardust will be coming to theaters on August 10th. Stardust is an enchanting novel written by the immensly talented Neil Gaiman.

Fans of Tori Amos may recall a certain Neil being mentioned in her songs, this is the very man. Stardust was written in one of Tori's houses with the condition that Neil make her a tree in the book. Look for the talking tree.

Tori wrote in her song Horses

"will you find me if Neil makes me a tree?"



Obviously Neil is close friends with Amos. I even saw him hanging out around her tour bus when I was chatting with Tori after her Boston show on the Strange Little Girls tour. By the way, I've never seen so much seafood be carried back to anyone's dressing room. Tori has a serious shellfish fetish. God bless her.

Check out the trailer for Stardust and go out and buy the book. It is magical as are many of Gaiman's works. If you digest stardust and find yourself wanting more, I also highly recommend checking out Neverwhere.


One other exciting date to put on your little calendar is August 13th.
Why might you ask is this day so special? Well, my friends, it is the season premier of Weeds, a show that has me hooked. Season 2 ended with quite a cliff hanger and boy am I ever excited to see what happens when the smoke clears. cough cough.

A very random note: Mary Kate Olsen of the Olsen twins will be joining the cast this season. I'm very excited to see what part the little anoerexic alien will be playing. Has she done any acting since full house? She is going to have to bring her A game, because Mary-Louise Parker and Elizabeth Perkins are nothing short of briliant.

Last but not least, I am scheduled to become an uncle at the end of August. My sister got herself knocked up and is planning on pushing a bun out of her oven just in time for banana season.



Stay tuned for more exciting developments. There are lots of things brewing...enjoy these snacks but don't spoil your apetite.

No comments:

And now a word from our sponsor

Without shameless begging, independent musicians would surely starve.