Thursday, June 07, 2007

Friday & Saturday

Last Friday, I was supposed to go with K. to see The Year of the Dog.
Due to a mixup on the Angelika's website, we ended up in a theatre
clutching tightly to one another with a giant bucket of popcorn inbetween as
we watched 28 weeks later. I enjoyed the first movie quite a bit,
but this one was a bit too gruesome for me.
There were times where I had to turn away from the screen and bury my head in K's chest.
It scared the bejezus out of us. I think I still have claw marks on my arms.


We slept until noon on Saturday and then went to the park to look at the swans and take in the grandeur of nature. The one thing that we both found disturbing was how much trash people throw into the park. You see a beautiful pond and a swan family and then a floating plastic bottle. Despite this, living close to the park is so great. Though we could have spent all day there, we both had things to do. We took the train to queens so that K could go home and I could get my keyboard. I then rushed back to Brooklyn to grab some things out of storage, shower and eat before running into the city for soundcheck. The usual lack of consistency and order that is the trademark of the New York subway system sent me on a roundabout journey on trains I never even knew existed into a near brush with the underworld and the mole people.

I found myself running through the streets of the west village guitar in tow, trying to get to the duplex for soundcheck. I arrived drenched in sweat and was greeted by multiple people asking me if it was raining outside.
"No, I replied. That's just my sweat."

I batted my eyelashes and managed to use my manly whiles to get a fresh shirt for the show from the very sweet official guardian of the Gender offenders T-shirts, Mister Brian Maschka.

Before I knew it, the duplex was stuffed full. The house was packed. There in the audience was K. We occasionally were able to steal glances but for the most part I was in work mode. I did two sets....applause applause. After the second set I ended up standing on top of a toilet with my guitar in a dressing room that is more like a hallway as the dragqueens changed outfits for their final number. I was given the task of holding a wig and stuffing anything into Candy Samples' bra that might be hanging out. In case you hadn't figured it out, this was the highlight of my night.

I hung out for a bit with the lovely Jeff Cubeta, and the Gender Offenders who gave a stellar performance that night.
I left on the early side knowing that I had to get up at 5am to catch a bus to New Paltz for their pride celebration. I will sleep when I'm dead.

(Coming Soon...Sunday in New Paltz)

No comments:

And now a word from our sponsor

Without shameless begging, independent musicians would surely starve.