Friday, August 24, 2007

In tha' Funk (not the music)

Photo by Carrie Thomas

Something hit me last night. It is this feeling that comes in waves. I sometimes refer to it as existential angst. It sounds more productive that way, but I think some might label it as depression.

I feel like I am at a crossroads with my music.
I'm not really sure what it means right now.

I go back into the studio on Sunday where I hope to channel whatever I'm feeling. I promise the whole album will not be a downer, but there is a paralysis that covers it. I haven't decided if this is meant to be or if it needs an injection of gutteral wailing. I am torn between organic and pop sounds and I am lettting them both win.
I have contemplated this instrumental track made entirely from nature sounds. I became very inspired by a rooster while on tour in Ohio. I have been creating and writing songs that I may never release because I don't know that anyone can handle them but me.

One specifically called The Politically Incorrect Train Song (P.I.T.S.)


K worked late and then spent the night in Queens.
I felt a bit lonely without him, but I was tired enough that
I lost consciousness before I could pine too much.

On Wednesday night he crawled into bed, after opening the door
and giving me a tiny heart attack. I'm not used to people
opening my door in the middle of the night, even though I
told him to do so.

No comments:

And now a word from our sponsor

Without shameless begging, independent musicians would surely starve.