Friday, June 27, 2008

Be Prepared!

I have been saying for almost two years that the United States is heading into a
2nd great depression. We live in what I call a false economy or a credit economy.
It's simple. We spend more than we make. We are a country of consumers, not producers.
We have been financing a war that we didn't have money to fund in the first place.
We've been borrowing that money mostly from China.
People have heard me say this and looked at me like I am off my nutter. If you remove the facade, I believe that we have been in recession for the last 5 years, an invisible downward slope.

I stockpile canned goods and large bags of rice, the kind of behavior that crazy people on compounds in Idaho do.
K used to laugh at me for this and then this year what I have been seeing is finally starting to rip through the facade of the false economy. Costco started limiting the number of bags of rice that people could buy at one time. People began losing their homes at alarming rates. The layoffs have begun. If that isn't scary. I don't know what is.

It's not comforting to know that what I have been seeing is probably true, however it is comforting to know that I am not the only one who sees it.

No comments:

And now a word from our sponsor

Without shameless begging, independent musicians would surely starve.