Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Garden Party 25


On Monday I performed at Garden Party 25, the largest fundraiser event for New York City's LGBT Center, held on pier 54 and hosted by the hillarious and very awesome Kate Clinton. I love this woman. If you haven't checked out her Hillarity Clinton vlogs, I recommend you give them a look and listen.

When I got to soundcheck I was greeted by a familiar face, that of fellow singer/songwriter Eric Himan. Eric had soundchecked earlier so he was kind enough to show me where to go and all that jazz. Eric and I met a few year's back when he stayed at our apartment while visiting New York for an open mic with my then current boyfriend's ex boyfriend. (head spinning yet?)

Garden Party was full of wonderful food, drink and great performers. There was one small hitch. When I got on stage for my actual performance, I went to strum the guitar and nothing...silence. Inside I began having a small panic attack. This was a first.
I tried to give the tech guys time to fix the problem by doing an acapella rendition of flapjacks....still nothing but silence. They came on stage, pulled me off stage, stalled...put me back on stage...pulled me off stage. Finally they were able to fix the problem and I performed Lemon Scented and Fishnet Sailor for a very warm crowd of 2500 people, the number that was quoted in the thank you email I received yesterday. The whole situation was kind of comical. You never know what's going to happen when you perform live, so you just have to roll with the punches.

Despite technical glitches, the night was quite enjoyable. I was able to see Eric perform again. K is very fond of protest song, which I have to agree is a nice addition to Mr. Himan's repertoire. Gavin Creel performed as well. I must admit that I didn't know who he was, but as soon as he was announced K became very excited. Apperently K's first broadway show was Thoroughly Modern Millie, in which Gavin not only performed but for which he also received a Tony nomination. So there you have it. That's how I spent my monday night. Who said Mondays are boring?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Eric Himan is one of my fave all time singers. Love his music. It would be great to see the two of you perform live together. His Protest song is one of my faves from him. I can't wait to hear Flapjacks live!

And now a word from our sponsor

Without shameless begging, independent musicians would surely starve.